Topband: Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Ameritron AL-1200 problem on 160 meters
From: <k8dio@windstream.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 20:03:22 -0500
Hi,

I recently picked up a used AL-1200.  I tried to tune up the amp, on 160
meters, and have a problem.  I am using a TS-2000 as a driver and reduced the
power, in the AM mode down to 5 watts.  I did this to sneak up on the input
power.  I slowly brought up the power until I saw some grid current.  I put the
meter in the power output position and adjusted the Plate and Load controls.  I
only get a small amount of rf output.  I raised the input power to 25 watts and
still don’t see more than around 100 watts output.  The input swr is 1.1 – 1,
grid current 70 ma, plate current 300 ma.  The plate current varies a small
amount when the Plate or Load controls are adjusted.  It appears that it's way
out of resonance.

I checked all of the padding caps in the circuit and they all measured in spec.
I took a look at the bandswitch contacts and they all look okay.

Has anyone had this problem on 160 meters?

I also have a question on the inrush relay K3. It seems that, during power up,
K3 is only on for around .5 seconds.  Is this normal?

Thanks,

73, Lloyd   K8DIO
Twinsburg, Ohio