Re: Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules

To: RK <midnight18@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: New CQ160 contest Rules
From: Dave Court <EI3IO@connogue.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 09:53:48 +0000
Hi All
Perhaps you will allow a comment from someone who is not an avid
contester and in addition resides outside the US. The contest certainly
stimulates DX activity and I'm always looking for new ones in the
Carribean and central America. In principle the 00:00 start facilitates
European contest QSOs to DX areas of Region 2 on three days,
statistically allowing a better chance of good conditions occuring at
some point.

On the other hand an early 22:00 close on the Sunday might encourage
some DX stations to remain QRV after the contest for non contest QSOs
when split operation is possible. Again swings and roundabouts but I
think I personally preferred last year's timings.

I would agree with those that suggest a defined contest exchange is
needed. That could still be a country designator if the designator is
defined by the organiser. However the DXCC list is an unusual and unique
list of countries and apart from call-sign prefixes, I don't think there
is a stand alone country list which addresses for example 4U1ITU and
4U1UN as a country. So why repeat ones call-sign prefix or call-sign in
the report exchange? WAZ, ITU zones or grid square information seems
more sensible, if a serial is considered unnecessary.

73s and best wishes for the holiday season.
Dave EI3IO

--
This Email comes from Dave Court - EI3IO, G3SDL, OZ3SDL
QTH (Grid) Locator - IO63WF

Tel: (EI) +353 1 272 2066 or (GI) +44 28 9099 6474
Skype Username: Connogue or Connport
VoIP: sip: 1996474@sipgate.co.uk
Professional Web Site: http://connogue.com