Topband: CQWW CW N7UA SOSB/160 HP

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: CQWW CW N7UA SOSB/160 HP
From: "Bill Tippett" <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 21:18:41 -0500
This is probably the most amazing 160 contest result I've ever seen
and I think it deserves posting here.  Let there never again be any
whining from the Left Coast!  Congratulations Bob and there's nobody I
would rather have double my score than you!

73,  Bill  W4ZV

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N7UA
Operator(s): N7UA
Station: N7UA

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: Wa
Operating Time (hrs): 30

  160:  567    30       79
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Great conditions in this contest; a real treat from here.  Was able to run both
Europe and JA.  Running Europe from here is a rare thing, so I felt very lucky
to finally have a hole right through what would normally be the aurora curtain.
Northern Europeans worked me from their full day light.
Here's a partial break down:

Zone      Q's

25        210 (Thanks JA)
14&15     106
16         37
17         11
18          8
19          6

Note that, until this year, Zones 16 and 17 have only been worked a few times
from here in the last 20 years, except for long path.
 I hope the sun stays quiet for quite some time.

I did not work much in Southern Europe but did snag 5B4AII. No SV or even I
stations were worked. Also no Zone 26 (usually able to be worked from here)or
Southern Asia, South Africa and almost no South America from here.  It was as
if the Southern Hemisphere had a large attenuator circling the equator.  But it
was really a thrill to be able to work over the pole, which more than
compensated for the lack of Southern propagation.

Best missed but heard were 3V8BB, EY7AF and UA0YAY (Zone 23, which I never
worked).

Before the contest I had phased three North/South beverages together in attempt
to get rid of some bad local noise that was in the beam pattern of my wire 4
square.  This turned out to be an excellent receive antenna for over the pole,
even though I spent a lot of time at the controls cancelling noise and peaking
signals.

Great contest, great fun.