Re: Topband: UA9MA

To: Hardy Landskov <n7rt@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: UA9MA
From: Michael Tope <W4EF@dellroy.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 09:39:01 -0800
Hardy Landskov wrote:

>Propagation finally made its way to AZ this AM and I put Gena in the log for
>Zone #38 on Topband.
>Congrats to KC7V, K8IA and a few others that made it through but I did not
>write down.
>73 & Happy Holidays to all,  Hardy N7RT

Conditions over the pole must be very good indeed. This morning around
1215 UTC I was able to clearly hear JW5NM on a QSB peak working W5UN and
yesterday morning I was able to clearly hear UA9MA on QSB peaks at my
sunrise. I find this pretty remarkable given my noise level here. I live
on a very noisey 5000sqft lot in Los Angeles and the only thing I have
for receive is my TX antenna (160 meter inv-L).  In fact it is so noisy
here that this morning I couldn't even copy YS4/K9GY. I could only sit
and listen as he worked many stations at his sunrise. This makes the
fact that I could hear a UA9 and a JW5 all the more remarkable to me.
The UA9 and JW5 makes 36 zones SWL from out here in W6, 34 of which were
heard in the city with no RX antennas, and a lowly 30 worked (29 with my
callsign, 1 w/W6UE from Mt. Wilson). Nothing heard yet from 20, 21, 22,
and 37.