[TowerTalk] Inverted L Tuning - Solved

To: topband@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Tuning - Solved
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 22:29:49 EST
Hi Guys,

Thank You for all the wonderful ideas on getting my 160-m. Inverted L tuned.
Your ideas got me going!

My first mistake was connecting the radial ground to my tower ground.  Here's
what fixed the Inverted L:

1) Disconnected the tower ground from the radial ground and the SWR improved.
2) Put in a new 10' ground rod at the base of the Inverted L and tied it into
the radial ground and the SWR dropped further to 1.8 @ 1.77 Mhz @ Z=28.
3) Now that the Z was down where it should be I added the 50/25 ohm UNUN and
presto: SWR is 1.06 @ 1.761 Mhz.

Tomorrow I plan to cut the top of the L a little shorter for resonance at
1.830.

Hope to work you in the ARRL-160 Test this weekend!

73,
Dick- K9OM

Make your life easier with all your friends, email,
and favorite sites in one place.  Try it now.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&amp;
icid=aolcom40vanity&amp;ncid=emlcntaolcom00000010)