Topband: Polarisation coupling effects at MF??

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Polarisation coupling effects at MF??
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:34:07 -0500

LY2IJ:

 > Just curious - what is the physics/mystic behind? Different laws on 160
than 80? Distance to ionosphere is very different?

         You can read much about this in our list archives under
"power coupling" or "magnetic coupling".

http://tinyurl.com/6a3f58

http://tinyurl.com/5enq74

 > RU1A guys use some fixed beams and don't plan to dismount them:
<http://ru1a.ru/eng/about_antennas.shtml>http://ru1a.ru/eng/about_antennas.shtml
Arkala extremes do something very wrong?

         RU1A has a good signal here but unless they have a
good vertical for comparison who can say which is better?
It will be very interesting to see how the OH8X 3 element Yagi
works.  Theoretically a dipole up 1/2 wavelength should
be 6-8 dB stronger than a vertical, but many have found just
the opposite is true (vertical 6-10 dB stronger).  80 meters
and higher is a different situation where a dipole up 1/2 wl
is a very good antenna (in the broadside direction).

         There are times when even a low dipole (~30m) will be
better than a vertical, but in my experience this is about
1% of the time (usually at sunset or sunrise).

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV