Re: Topband: Polarisation coupling effects at MF??

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Polarisation coupling effects at MF??
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 16:12:26 -0500
Arunas,

>Just curios - what is the physics/mystic behind? Different laws on 160
>than 80? Distnace to ionosphere is very different?

There's nothing mystical about it. It's all in the physics of a plasma
(the ionosphere) immersed in a magnetic field. The polarization effect
is tied to the electron gyro-frequency (the frequency at which electrons
spiral about magnetic field lines), which is between about 0.7 and 1.7
MHz depending on where you are in the world. Thus our 160m band is
affected most as it is closest to the electron gyro-frequency.
Polarization is not as important with respect to coupling to the
ionosphere on 80m and higher frequencies. For more details, go to
http://mysite.verizon.net/k9la/id1.html and read the Polarization article.

>RU1A guys use some fixed beams and don't plan to dismount them:
>http://ru1a.ru/eng/about_antennas.shtml
>Arkala extremes do something very wrong?

There's theory (everything is perfect) and there's the imperfect real
world. If there is an adverse effect ion using horizontal polarization
at extemely high latitudes, it should be very evident with the OH boys.
It would be interesting if they had a vertical to compare the Yagi to.

Carl K9LA