Topband: Boring Report - 21 December

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - 21 December
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 09:42:01 -0800
This is my parent's anniversary.  They say they got married on the longest
night of the year...  good planning.

Last night - the band started filling up with signals before sunset and E70T
was coming through.  I got a few "N6"?s out of him - but didn't work him
until later.  The band seemed to fizzle out however and my last QSO was
RU4HP at 0317.  Saw some spots for 4O3A and ZC7, but couldn't hear either
one of them.

This morning, RU3DX opened the band at 1410 UTC.  This was after CQing for
about 40 minutes with no results.  At 1425, I had a pileup of UA4s calling
me (well - UA4CC and UA4UDF at the same time).  Clive, GM3POI was starting
to hear me (well before his sunset) and made it into the log at 1437Z.  This
is the first two way for him and me during this morning opening - and my
first to the UK.  I have had SWL reports from G3ROO - but no QSO before.

Then, someone sent "SSB" on my frequency.  I incorrectly thought this was
RA4LW, but it was Eugene RU3DX.  Poor Eugene had a heck of a time getting
into my log.  First, I put him in as RA4LW, and then RU3DO.  However, he
persisted and finally made it.  You can hear the drama in the following
sound files:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/RU3DX_Calling_21-Dec-2008.mp3
http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/RU3DX_Again_21-Dec-2008.mp3
http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/RU3DX_QSO_21-Dec-2008-1500Z.mp3

Obviously - my ear hasn't worked much SSB recently and I am not very
good at pulling out the callsign.  :-)

I got an SWL report from W7LR who said I was 59 in Montana.

Here is Vlad (RA4LW) checking in this morning:

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/160/RA4LW_SSB_21Dec2008_1447UTC.mp3

The band seemed to be closed at my sunrise - once again, this opening is
peaking about an hour before sunrise.  My reflector which helps out some
over the pole was not working this morning - I suspect due to ice.  It
is about 20 degrees and we have nearly a foot of snow on the ground, but
with a growing layer of ice on top of it.  Hoping the antennas make it
through.

http://www.kkn.net/~tree/misc_pictures/Dec%2021,%202008%20006.jpg

I tried some 80 meter stuff after sunrise - mostly a few JAs, but worked
ALEX, UA9YAB (I called him by the wrong name when we worked - no coffee
yet).

All QSOs in LOTW.  Hope to see some good action tonight.

73 Tree N6TR
Boring, OR