Topband: New Bev what to expect to hear??

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: New Bev what to expect to hear??
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:12:50 -0600
Thanks to everyone who is responding to my emails on the matching transformer,
this information will be put to use this weekend I
hope

"G_d willing and the creek dont rise".

I am hearing signals on 160 meters on my new wire (bev) antenna that I never
heard before on the vertical, some sound like broadcast
signals and some like very loud continuous carriers, but not sure if they are
interfering with Ham radio signals reception or not.

Shouldn't I be hearing signals from EU at S-7 or above, if so I haven't yet. I
am hearing signals I never heard before, only heard
others responding to them, but the signal reports back to EU dont anywhere near
match my meter here. The strongest signal I have
gotten within the last three days was an OM3 and he was S-3 to S-4. Although
this is the strongest I have ever heard, is it what I
should expect.

I am also listening on 80 with the wire and am hearing what seems to be a
broadcast station just at the noise level at 3779.81 LSB .
I have never heard a broadcast station on 80 before only on 40. So not sure if
this is some sort of strange mixing or overloading or
something.

The other thing I wanted to bring out is it seems that using the AMECO PLF-2
preamp raises the signal levels, but it also raises the
noise level.

Not sure if it is worth the trade off of gain or not. When compared to the
vertical for instance on 80 meters the V has noise of
around an S-6 and kicking in the preamp raises the hash to 7 or 8 on the wire.

The low level signals I do hear on the vertical are not as clear on the bev
antenna, until I mess with the shift and width and EDSP
adjustments, so I am wondering if I am getting any side rejection or gain from
it without terminating the end.

The other thing is I need to mention when pointed e to w it points directly
easterly at the city of Ft Worth which is around 25 to
thirty miles from us.

Could this be the hash I am picking up on the wire?

Bob AD5VJ