Topband: Matching Xfmr #2

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Matching Xfmr #2
From: "AD5VJ Bob" <rtnmi@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 18:58:02 -0600
I now have a different matching xfmr on my little unterminated beverage and I
must say it is much much better than the first one. As
soon as I get enough coax I am going to terminate it to favor the east, but for
now......

I will try to take pics of it, but the core I am using now is a binocular core
and has the higher Z wrap on top of the lower Z wrap
with both being wrapped in the center of the binocular.

I am hearing many more signals now than I did on the first one.

Example:
The ZD8 for me is almost a real S-3 here which was unheard of before at this
station, even when propagation was being reported as
very good by everyone on Top Band.

The loss between the windings has got to be much less than the first design I
went by and so I would recommend this design instead
of the first one I made.

The one I am using was introduced to me by someone on this list, which he may
not want me to say who so I wont, but it is a much
better way of doing things on these cores and not really any harder to do than
the first one.

Gotta go -- a signal just started coming up as I was writing this on 32.43 and
it sounds like more DX coming in.

   73 fer nw es gud DX,
QSL VIA: LotW, BUR, e-QSL
Bob AD5VJ
http://www.ad5vj.com/
Old Calls WB5ZQU, WY5L/KH3, KE5CTY, N5IET