Re: Topband: lower ionosphere?

To: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: lower ionosphere?
From: k3bu@optimum.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 00:38:30 +0000 (GMT)
> Phil K5PC said:
>
> >It looks like the two recent articles about the lowering of the
> reflective>layers may be very valid.
> >
> That is a myth in the making due to poorly written press
> releases. If
> you dig into the details, you'll find that the satellite was
> only
> measuring the equatorial ionosphere (the orbit inclination is 13
> degrees) at altitudes from about 400 km to 870 km (the perigee
> and
> apogee of the orbit). To extrapolate this data from the dynamic
> equatorial ionosphere at high altitudes to the worldwide
> ionosphere is
> not valid. Visit mysite/verizon.net/k9la/, click on the Timely
> Topics
> link at the top, and then read "Is the Ionosphere Really Lower?"
> for
> details.
>
> Carl K9LA

So, you are trying to imply that atmosphere/ionosphere is only lowered around
equator?
What magic keeps it unaffected at higher latitudes?

Earth is a sphere, atmosphere/ionosphere is envelope around this sphere and if
there are changes in height, those changes would be reflected proportionately
in this envelope at the equator and toward the poles, proportionately.

NASA found out that during high sunspot cycle atmo/ionosphere expands and that
is what slowed down SPACELAB and caused its premature descent.

I have found and described in my 1980 CQ article
http://www.k3bu.us/propagation.htm that low angle propagation is prevalent
during low sunspot cycle and minima, while higher angles are dominating during
high cycles and maxima. I remember in 1958 working with 10W Wehrmacht tank
radio and low wire whole world 24 hours a day on 10m AM.

It is not a myth but reality, NASA knows it.

73  Yuri K3BU.us