Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: "Phil Clements" <philc@texascellnet.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 16:20:01 -0600
I got some interesting replies regarding the lack of long-haul DX
communications this season.

Some theories are that there is little if any ducting going on. The theory
is that when Sunspot numbers are low that the ducts fill with
extra-terrestrial radiation and block 160 meter RF from entering the ducts.
They say that long-haul DXing is not possible on 160 meters without ducting,
even when the SFI=69, K=0, and A=0, and there is little to no aurora
activity. Without ducting to bypass a few hops, there is no signal remaining
at the far end of the path to be heard. Some theorize that the layers move
up and down only around the equator, and move very little at high latitudes.

This leads me to believe that what is missing this season is the ability of
the ducts to accept 160-meter energy, for whatever reason.

This would account for the lack of few spots greater than 10 k miles this
year.

Something has definitely changed in the last year or two. I just have no
idea what it is! I just want to finish my 160 meter WAZ...I need 3 zones,
and most of you can guess where they are!

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC