Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation

To: "David Raymond" <daraymond@iowatelecom.net>,topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Meter Propagation
From: Nick Hall-Patch <nhp@ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 04:36:05 +0000
At 02:40 1/14/2009, you wrote:

>Nick. . .could you specify which QEX issue contains the article?

July/August 2001

> I would be curious to know what
>percentage of the time you saw worthwhile local sunrise enhancements
>(worthwhile being perhaps at least 2 db).

It was as high as 50-60% of the mornings in the fall when the article was
written, and I'd think that it was similar now from what I've been seeing.
That could drop to 20% or less in January, recover a fair bit in February and
March, and in the summer was close to zero.

Remember that I'm in western Canada, about 100 km from the open Pacific, though
the Asiatic paths to here actually have to cross the spine of Vancouver Island,
more like 300km.  However, this is a considerably more coastal location than
yours, and that may have some influence on my observations.

Hope this helps.

Nick

VE7DXR