Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

To: "Tree" <tree@kkn.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas
From: "Herbert Schoenbohm" <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 09:44:33 -0400
Tree said:

> All - one of the more frustrating aspects of the 160 meter contests is the
> congestion in the 1810-1850 kHz segment of the band. ......... and often
signals from the USA west coast arer just lost inbetween them.

> I am thinking of perhaps trying to work some of the contest in SPLIT mode.
> Perhaps I can transmit up near 1900 kHz - away from QRM and listen
somewhere
> in the 1810-1850 kHz "window".

Tree..Split freqency was the way we had some DX in the 60's especially JA's
and also due to LORAN restrictions.  Indeed today with the increased
popularity of contests and early during some contest evening periods, there
is an impenetratable wall from 1810 to 1850 wherein I hear strong Euros that
I can't even get a QRZ or AGN from.  Past midnight GMT when the wall to wall
Euros thin out is when the fun begins.  So I limit even listening in that
direction since the early contest Q rate from NA is over ten times greater.

Your idea is not weird but may be the only chance for the west coast. The
only problem I see is if you are working split during the contest you tend
to loose control of the RX frequency(s) and if, lets say, 50 West coast
stations are working split the level of QRM, in the restricted TB, is most
likely exacerbated. Split ops are essentially occupying two or more precious
contest frequencies. (more due to offsets by some callers.) If your working
split, and Oregon is  probably rarer to some Euros as KP2, then your chances
are probably enhanced by someone spotting your split.

On another item....Is it time to stop promoting DX windows during contests?
Contest gurus have carved out exceptions called "DX windows" that in fact
are different depending upon the sponsor. many can't tell you where their
boundaries start or end. Do they really help?  Some have recommended harsh
punishment for working there. Others just ignore the rule or recommendation.
Some comment they are useless unlress there is near total compliance.

In the past during contests the traditional window was the only place I
could get a run from Euros going.  Now with 25 Caribbean stations doing the
same thing the "DX Window" has become close to useless except if you want to
work other Caribbean stations. If the window is for intercontinental QSO's
as some say, fine.

Today with the wonderful "nulling" capability of some antennas and
accessories thus reducing the relevancy of Windows IMHO. I now fortunate to
have  8 Beverages I can rout into the MFJ-1026 and make most of the East
Coast disappear into a 25 db null to help work weak Euros. The down side
doing this is reading the custom spots after the contest and seeing comments
like "KV4FZ"..... "no ears, deaf , stone deaf, or alligator" from someone in
the Midwest.

Maybe "Windows" are no longer a pressing issue and need to be revisited to
allow more available bandwidth for all during contests.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ