[TowerTalk] Slant (Shunt) Feeding 88' Tower on 160

To: topband@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Slant (Shunt) Feeding 88' Tower on 160
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:38:14 EST
Hi Guys,

I'd appreciate your recommendations for Slant Feeding a 88' self-supporting
tower for 160-m.  The only antenna on the tower is a Cushcraft XM-240
(Shorty-Forty) on top.  The XM-240's elements are not grounded therefore only
the 22'
boom is electrically attached.  (the tower is 36" wide at the base and 18" at
top)

Thoughts/Questions:

1) I tried an Inverted L on this tower with 86' vertical and the remaining
horizontal and the interaction with the tower was terrific and signal reports
poor.  It was also very difficult to tune so I moved the base of the Inv. L 30'
from the base of the tower and the interaction decreased but signal reports
are still down from my 160-m. Inv. L on a 60' tower.  Thank You to everyone who
responded with comments when I posted about this Inverted L several weeks ago.

2) Since I have the 160-m. coax and radials located at a point 30' removed
from the base of the 88' tower: I would now like to replace the Inv. L by Slant
Feeding the tower and see if that doesn't produce better signal reports.

3) I'd like to connect the Slant Feed to the tower at the 50 ohm point.  Any
guestimates as to what height that 50 ohm tap point might be?  And any
guestimates as to what capacitance I might expect at that height?

Thanks for your thoughts!

73,
Dick- K9OM

steps!