Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas

To: n4is <n4is@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: CQ 160 weird ideas
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 13:53:02 -0400
n4is wrote:

> My proposal is to reduce local QSO's to "zero" points on International
> contests, and count only US Canada states as multiplies.
>

> We have several local contests for local folks to work locals. Why mix an
> international contest with local roles?

JC,

If I recall correctly one of the key hopes of the founding fathers (CQ
WW 160) in this case Charlie O Brian, W2EQS and W1BB, Stew Perry was to
increase both domestic and DX participation in a significantly under
utilized band in order to save it from re-farming by the FCC to other
services.  (We already were there on a extremely limited shared basis
with USCG and their worldwide LORAN services.)  There was even concern,
even against the upper level protests of  Bob Denniston, W0NWX, a.k.a
W0DX and  VP2VI, that the  League itself was leaning to trade TB for
more spectrum  like on 40 meters.  Most transmitters, except for Heath,
Johnson, and Collins, did not include 160.  (note these were all Midwest
based equipment manufacturers run by hams).

Showing the FCC and the amateur community that hundreds then later
thousands of amateurs could work the world with 100 watts and wire
antennas in the original contests was key to even having a viable band
today that we all love so much.

I know there are some frustrating aspects to this contest...like
incessant CQ machines every 200 Hz or the fact I get half the points
that my competition 350 miles southwest of me gets for even shorter
distances to the mainland but the proof is in the success each year
supported by better engineering contributions, better enlightened ops,
contest only DX-peditions, and better antennas (even if the most
important one in my bunch is a 600 foot piece of wire a few feet above
the ground with a resistor and a ground rod at the far end developed in
1927 by a engineer name Beverage.)

Maybe the goals of the founders have been met now and some small chances
are warranted. Maybe not. But any changes sold be more of some slight
adjustment rather than change the whole predicate for the most
successful 160 meter contest of them all. (The Stew is gaining ground
every year as it should....but doesn't the ARRL International CW with a
single band 160 entry give you exactly what you are proposing? or as the
French would say Vive Le Difference!

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ