Re: Topband: 160 to NA

To: Topband Reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 to NA
From: "Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL" <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 10:05:21 -0500
Jim Brown wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 14:50:36 +0100, LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad wrote:
>

>> Cannot help thinking, that if more stations would listen more carefully
>> instead of CQ-ing endlessly, there would be more DX-qsos !
>>

> YES! Over a period of several hours, I called a bunch of EU and SA stations
> who were CQing endlessly and well above my noise level. Some were answering
> callers fairly often, but many were not. I simply don't understand how some
> of these guys can be SO STRONG, abiding by the rules for power, and still not
> hear my 1.4 kW signal!
>
> 73,
>
> Jim K9YC

Of course, Rag, Charles and you are right, Jim.  I couldn't agree more
with your comments about the rotten signals and operating practices on
that spoiled what would otherwise have been a great band opening for DX
over the weekend.   There are several possible explanations as to why
those perfectly readable stations don't come back to your 1.4 kw sigs.
First, and most obvious, it's summer in South America and your 1.4 kw is
in competition with multi-megawatt static crashes.  Secondly, 160 mx is
known for unusual propagation (as compared to the higher bands).
Finally, these are hams are contesters which implys a certain diminished
capacity unlike the more gentle and refined  of the species  called
DXers.   :-)

Ken K4XL
k4xl@arrl.net

*** BoatAnchor Manual Archive ***
On the web at http://bama.sbc.edu and http://bama.edebris.com
FTP site info: bama.sbc.edu login: anonymous p/w: youremailadr