Re: Topband: small antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: small antennas
From: RTTYMAN@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 13:53:36 EST
Hi Dave, et al.

I operate very little on 160, but always try to dabble a bit in the  contest.
My antenna for the last contest was a Sloper that covers 30, 40, 80,  & 160
... with the feed point at about 26-28 feet high attached to the  cranked down
tower. I laid out two insulated radials ( 50 & 65 feet) beneath  the Sloper
with the wire running East off the tower from near San  Diego. I ran barefoot
Friday night & was just "going nowhere fast" as far as  Q's were concerned.
Saturday night, I ran about 1 KW & obviously did much  better ... getting 4 new
countries, 30 states, and a total of about 75-80 total  contacts. I never heard
any EU stations & only CE1/K7CA from SA on  two occasions. New ones were PJ2,
C6, VE, & KL7. I pretty much concentrated  on 160 WAS ... thus focused on the
most difficult area for me; the Northeast US.  No AF stations were heard
either.

Did I have fun?  You betcha!

73

Les, NN6K