Topband: Boring Report - Thursday Edition

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Boring Report - Thursday Edition
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:16:17 -0800
The band was indeed mostly boring last night.  After working Europe on
four consecutive evenings - the band was pretty hopeless last night.  I
believe I heard a few pings from RA4LW, but not enough to copy his
callsign.  This is step zero in the QSB Surf process :-).

This morning - I called a few CQs and worked one JA. I was up the band
above the JA window - so I was a bit surprised by this.  I have had this
happen a few times, but supposed it is just a matter of occasional JA
operators being confused about where their band segment is (1810-1825).

It would be great news that they had more of the band available - maybe
someday.  Maybe 15 kHz is enough for them - but it does tend to compact
the big signals trying to work JA into a very small portion of the band
during contests.

I often wonder if it is still possible to work them up in their other
band up around 1910 kHz.  I once heard a big DX pedition working split
up there and heard lots of signals.

We are hoping for improving conditions during the next week.  Hopefully,
the 28 day sun rotation will bring similar conditions to the ARRL DX CW
contest that we enjoyed during the CQ 160 CW contest.

73 Tree N6TR / K7RAT
tree@kkn.net