Re: Topband: thanks for RX antenna advice - and one more question

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: thanks for RX antenna advice - and one more question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 08:05:00 -0800
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 06:54:05 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:

>I would just make sure to switch 'both sides of the coax' so as to not
>add any ground loops that could possibly add a lot of noise from the
>shack to the radio being used...in other words you do not want two extra
>coax's hanging off the radio in use."

Noise pickup of this sort would be the result of really bad station
grounding and bonding practice. If your station is properly grounded and
bonded (everything bonded together) there should be no problem with the
coaxing switching systems proposed. It CAN BE important to decouple all the
feedlines with high impedance coaxial ferrite chokes to minimize
interaction with other antennas, and to minimize noise coupling from the
feedline to the antenna.

And I agree that K9AY's switching matrix looks quite elegant.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC