Topband: Beverage antenna switch design needed

To: <Topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Beverage antenna switch design needed
From: "WY7I" <wy7i@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 16:30:51 -0600
Hello Topbanders,

Question #1:
I'd like to construct a homebrew beverage antenna switch. I looked for
designs/schematics on Google, but found little that worked well. If anyone has
a good circuit diagram of one they know is a good one, I'd like to have it.

Otherwise, if the beverage coaxes are all RG-8x terminated in RCA jacks (for
the ICOM PRO II RX antenna socket), then can I just use a good rotary switch,
or do I need some relays in there for each connection? If so, I'm thinking
solid state relays.

Question #2:
I have a failed 80m four-square array--the winter WX here in CO turned a couple
of the vertical elements into pretzels...now I'm thinking of putting a 30m
vertical up on top of the 80m radial field...any problems with that? It's a
grid of 80m radials, about 256 of them as per ON4UN's book, and the advice of
COMTEK, but now I'm gonna put up a 30m radiator on top of it--would I need to
add 30m-sized radials to the grid? Wouldn't seem so...

Any advice on the above two issues would be appreciated.

Paul
WY7I