Topband: How Close is Too Close?

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: How Close is Too Close?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:55:51 -0400
W4EF:

 > A related question - how close is too close to large high-voltage
transmission lines (i.e. the big metal towers that handle hundreds of
KVs).

         It depends on how well maintained they are.  I was concerned when
I moved to my present QTH 14 years ago because of a HV transmission line
only 1/4 mile away to my southwest (running SE to NW).  I drove underneath
it several places with my radio tuned to 1710 kHz.  I only heard a very
slight increase in ambient noise so I figured it should be OK.  In 14 years
I've since never heard any noise that I attribute to that line.  However it's
well maintained with regular helicopter inspections by Duke Power.  My guess
is that HV lines are better maintained than most 7 kV distribution lines.

         If you can avoid HV transmission lines, by all means do so.
But since that's becoming difficult in some areas I would check out the
specific line using an AM radio.  I hope yours will be as quiet as mine has
been!

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV