Re: Topband: Bobtail curtain

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Bobtail curtain
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:39:07 -0500
Charles Bibb wrote:
> ......Here's the problem though. Every time I try to model a full-sized
> bobtail using five wires everything looks good until I run an FF plot
> in the vertical plane. Every time, the elevation angle is very high
> (64 degrees, I think it was)......

There are two possibilities, both of which will produce high angle
signals like that.
1.  Are you perhaps looking at the end fire pattern?  That's about the
angle you will have off the ends, although the gain should be way down.
2.  The other possibility is that the end vertical elements aren't
really connected to the top wires.  Check the wire list to make sure
they are connected.

Here is another problem that may crop up if you try to shorten the legs
by using loading.  It is sometimes convenient to model vertical antennas
using a Mininec ground, but Mininec ground doesn't give accurate answers
if there are low horizontal wires in the model.  If you shorten the
legs, the top wire will be low (compared to a wavelength on 160).  So if
you use a Mininec ground expect the gain to be too high and the
feedpoint impedance to be too low.

For the most accurate answer use a real ground.  However you can't
connect a wire directly to a real ground.  So you either have to model
radials, or use this trick.  Put the source at the top of the center
wire. That will give the same answer.  You could actually feed it this
way in the real world, if you could figure out how to get the feedline
away from the antenna without messing up the pattern.

Oh, and don't forget to model the resistive losses of the loading coil
used.  This will require a large coil and coil losses may be
significant.  I'm not exactly sure how much since I haven't tried to
arrive at a solution. Remember most of the resistive losses (ac
resistance) comes from skin effect, coil capacitance, and coil shape.

Jerry, K4SAV