Topband: comparing solar minimum periods

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: comparing solar minimum periods
From: Carl K9LA <k9la@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:25:29 -0400
Hello to everyone,

There's no doubt we're experiencing the deepest solar minimum period of
our lifetimes. The previous five solar minimum periods roughly lasted
only two years, and here we are now halfway through year three of the
solar minimum period between Cycles 23 and Cycle 24. This solar minimum
period shouldn't be too much of a surprise, though, as our historical
data suggested this is likely where we were headed.

I've seen scattered comments about this solar minimum (2006 onward) not
being as good as the previous solar minimum (1995, 1996, 1997) with
respect to 160m propagation. I'd like your comments on this issue.
Specifically, does your experience on topband indicate this solar
minimum period is worse than the last solar minimum period? Better than?
The same?

What criteria is this based on? Quantity and duration of European
contacts? Quantity and duration of extremely long distance contacts?
Signal stengths? Something else?

Please reply to me peronally at k9la@gte.net. I'm not sure what I'll do
with this information yet, as it is just a curiosity for now.

Carl K9LA