Topband: signals on 1830

To: 160 reflector <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: signals on 1830
From: N7DF <n7df@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 08:38:08 -0700 (PDT)
1830 KHz is the default frequency for driftnet fishing beacons that is
programmed into the units when they are manufactured
The reason their signals are so erratic is that the antenna is a 8 to 12 foor
vertical on a bouy and it is bobbing around on the ocean surface
unless the user has the intelligence of the fish he is trying to catch, he can
reprogram it to anywhere from 1800 to 2800 KHz
a suggestion I heard one time when I was in Guam was for everyone to use 1830
as much as possible so the owners of the beacons would be encouraged to
reprogram them and avoid the nuisance of losing their driftnets
73
Larry
N7DF (formerly /KH2)