Re: Topband: [Dx-qsl] Claiming 160m DXCC - Sending QSLs

To: "Merv Schweigert" <k9fd@flex.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Dx-qsl] Claiming 160m DXCC - Sending QSLs
From: "Price Smith" <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:06:36 -0500

> Craig D. Smith wrote:
>> OK, my curiosity has gotten the better of me.  What is the reason that
>> the
>> ARRL subjects the 160 meter cards to a different level of scrutiny??
>>
>>               ...   Craig   AC0DS
>>
> Too many people moving the decimal point on 18.0 MHZ cards,  too many
> people sending blank cards around for others to fill in for needed bands,
> to many claiming qsos for 2 and 3 hours after or before sunset/sunrise.
> lots
> of reasons and appears they dont trust field checkers to know when the
> band is open in different time zones.
> I get queries from WAZ from time to time to confirm stations in my log for
> 160 contacts,  so its not just ARRL who does not trust cards..
> Seems some time back there was a rash of fake or altered cards sent in for
> 160 DXCC.
> 73 Merv KH7C

Hi Merv,
If I remember correctly, in the late 70s or early 80s there was a Amateur in
the #1 spot
on the 160 meter DXCC. None of the regular 160 operaters had ever heard him
on the band.
Perhaps Bill W4ZV or Jon AA1K might know a bit more about this.
Sad what some people will do.
73 to You and Mary..............Price