Re: Topband: two phased verticals for 160 m

To: kari.karvonen@phnet.fi
Subject: Re: Topband: two phased verticals for 160 m
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 11:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
  wrote:
> Hello
> Some time ago I was asking comments obove mentioned 2 phased verticals 1/8
> wave spacing. Thanks for all about comments.
>
> Now I ask your help, what is the best way to feed two 160 verticals 3/8
> wave spacing. Accoding books 90 decree phasing works even f/b would not be
> very good. Would parasitic work better ?
>
> 73  ! Kari OH5LF

I did a lot of modeling of 3/8 wave spacing.  It is not
very useful for a 2 element array.  I determined that
for 3/8 wl spacing you need 7 elements as described here:

http://www.n6rk.com/7_hex_array.pdf

Even at 7 elements, this array still has some sidelobes.

If you could put a 3rd element midway between your two elements,
so that you have 3 elements with 3/16 wl spacing, then you would
get a really good pattern, if you drive the center element with
2 times the current of the outer elements, and use 135 degree
phasing.

Rick N6RK