Topband: Antenna Question

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Antenna Question
From: Jim Murray <adkmurray@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 12:51:10 -0700 (PDT)
Hello All!
The good news from here in the Adirondack Mountains is that we now own a
place in a warmer climate to spend the winters in.  The bad news is I will miss
a lot of the best 160M conditions AND I have a no outside antenna deed
restriction.  I don't know if I can possibly hide at least a vertical there or
not.  Recently I've seen a couple of articles regarding "invisible antennas",
using smaller wire etc.  I want to at least get a 20M dipole up somehow.  Aside
from any possible ideas on antennas I am wondering about the efficiency loss of
using small diameter wire (100W).  I  have a roll of #26 I'd be willing to
blacken and try it out but will it work as good as 14 or 12?  I don't have a
balanced line tuner and would feed the ant. in the center with a balun (hard to
hide those).  I have one tree in the rear of the home which looks to be about
enough distance for only a 10-20M antenna.  The tree could possibly hide a
vertical of about 25'.  I
 don't see any other options right now and lowbands will surely be restricted
up to the time the xyl decides it's time to head South.
Regards to all,
Jim/k2hn