Topband: Couple of 8 Circle Array Notes

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Couple of 8 Circle Array Notes
From: "Joel Harrison" <w5zn@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:13:05 -0500
Thanks to Pete, N4ZR, for bringing to our attention one omission and a the
wrong modeling chart in our paper on the 8 Circle Vertical Array.

We overlooked putting Bob's RDF calculations in the article.In the section
that discusses the trade off between .55 wavelength and .65 wavelength
spacing we should have noted Bob's conclusion that if you minimize the
sidelobes with spacing, the RDF is 13 db. If you minimize the width of the
forward lobe and allow for increased side lobes, then the RDF 12.5 dB.

Also, the elevation and 3D plot in the paper are the original ones generated
over "perfect" ground, which is why there is no "notch" at the bottom of the
pattern. Bob and I both overlooked that so the model patterns in the paper
were the original modeling with perfect ground and didn't get the later ones
in with the radials. We'll get the later ones up which do show the correct
modeling over a radial ground system and it does have a "notch" at the
bottom.

Thanks Pete!

73 Joel W5ZN