Topband: Two element phased array

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Two element phased array
From: Tree <tree@kkn.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:10:43 -0700
We all know summer months are designed to give you a break from the action
on 160 meters - so that you can improve your antennas for next season.

After some consideration - I have decided to try a phased array of two
verticals instead of continuing my testing with parasitic wires.

Some of the factors that influence my decision are:

1. Phased array has excellent F/B over a wide frequency range.  This will
be a useful antenna in the second receiver (using a K3 in diversity mode).

2. A bidirectional pattern to the east coast and JA is very useful during
contests.

My current vertical is a gamma matched tower - and I am worried about how
that phasing works with that.  However, I have decided to put up a second
tower that I estimate will have the same electrical height - and will
hopefully be well matched with an identical gamma match.  This sould
minimize any variability and hopefully result in a well matched system.

I will be using a hybrid coupler to get my 90 degree phase shift - and
a simple transformmer to match the impedance when the two verticals are
in phase.  The towers are spaced 1/4 wave apart and in line north/south.

If any of you have some practical experience with something similar, I
would love to hear your comments.  I remember visiting K6SE back in the
1970's and his system worked very well with two gamma matched towers.

73 Tree N6TR/7
Boring, OR