Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: "T"-Top Vertical Antennas
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 15:37:36 -0400 (EDT)
Paul,

The snippet quoted from the Proceedings is the root of the confusion about the
1BCG antenna.  The 78 page Proceedings documents the antenna, the entire
station, and Godley's DXpedition to Scotland in detailed text, photographs and
diagrams.

The 1BCG antenna was initially installed with the single wire vertical feedline
attached to one end of the cage flat top.  Today we would call this an
"inverted-L."  They quickly abandoned this feed method in favor of connecting
the vertical wire to the center of the flat top.  Quoting the Proceedings, "The
shack (a 10 x 14 foot hut) had to be moved so as to be underneath the center of
the antenna"

The Proceedings includes many photographs of the antenna, unfortunately only a
few of us have access to this fascinating book.  However, many pages of
February 1922 QST describe the 1BCG station, the DXpedition to Scotland, and
the results of this first successful DX Contest.  Any ARRL member can download
the fascinating articles at:

http://p1k.arrl.org/cgi-bin/topdf.cgi?id=4359&pub=qst

http://p1k.arrl.org/cgi-bin/topdf.cgi?id=4360&pub=qst

http://p1k.arrl.org/cgi-bin/topdf.cgi?id=4361&pub=qst