Re: Topband: Receive antenna switching - Thanks!

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Receive antenna switching - Thanks!
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 2009 07:54:10 -0500
N6RK wrote:  The real deciding factor to me was the discovery that if
any water
gets into the coax anywhere, if there is DC on the coax, there will
be a small DC leakage current that generates 40 dB over S9 noise. ....

Good point and very true.  I had a similar experience with a receiving
antenna.  I used barrel connectors to splice some 75 ohm cable along a
750 ft run.  I cleaned the barrel connectors with WD40, a big mistake.
The WD40 left inside the barrel connector, because of its low surface
tension, floated crud out of the connector causing a high impedance
short (>20K ohms).  That generated S9+ noise because of the DC signal on
the cable.  The noise level was proportional to the DC voltage.  Lesson
learned.

Jerry, K4SAV