Re: Topband: Wire type in two direction beverage system

To: Toni Lindén <oh2ua@oh2u.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Wire type in two direction beverage system
From: Mike Waters W0BTU <mrscience65704@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 14:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Toni,

The impedance of the two-wire line should equal the impedance of the two wires
to ground. If they do not, then you need to change the ratio of the 1:1
reflection (far end) transformer.

In your case, you are proposing to use 145 ohm line, which at 6 feet above
ground has a common mode (both wires to ground) impedance of about 480 ohms.
You would need to change the 1:1 transformer to about 3.33 to 1 for optimum
performance (F/B ratio) of your Beverage.

I fabricated my own open wire line out of plated steel electric fence wire,
which is very strong. Using the known values of (1) the wire diameter and (2)
the desired height above ground, I then made some plastic spacers with two
holes 1.10" apart. This spacing made the common mode and differential mode
(line) impedances nearly equal.

The 580' bi-directional Beverage I made from this line works absolutely
fantastic.

73,
Mike Waters
W0BTU