Topband: unipole

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: unipole
From: "Glen" <k4kv@mds-ham.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 11:42:27 -0400
Hello,

I would like to speak with anyone running a unipole on 160M.

I have constructed the basic antenna on a 120' Rohn 25 tower.  3 wires
dropped off the top of
the tower, 30" away, to a hoop 3' off the ground.  Of course, all the guy
wires are insulated
and broken up according to the antenna handbook.

At first, it seemed resonant on 4.03Mhz and 7.3Mhz.  It was an outstanding
receive antenna for 40M, equaling
my 1650' Sky Loop, and very QUIET when compared to the InvL.

It also seems to receive well at 80M.  160M is a mystery right now...added
about 25 feet to
each wire run on a piece of PVC drain tile up at 70' point.  Seems to find
resonance now about
3.65Mhz and 6.6Mhz.  Very complex impedance from what I can tell right now.
No resonance that I can
find on 160M.

Entire ground system not in yet, but did roll out 8 radials for some initial
testing.

I suspect that my tower feed lines may be a source of trouble.  I have all
the 7/8" hardline
and rotor cable coming off at the 40' point and traveling down a guy wire
towards the shack.

Need advice on this.  It has been suggested to me that I must run the
hardline straight down
the tower and bond them all to the ground system.

What do you guys think???

73's

Glen K4KV