Re: Topband: INV-L with traps

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: INV-L with traps
From: "Larry Pasman" <lrpmbt@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:07:34 -0400
Being from Battle Creek With W8UVZ, K8GG and W0CD as very good friends and a
much  help. I built a Battle Creek Trapper (the wire version ) of the Battle
Creek Special this summer. If performs at least as well as an Inverted L and
will operate 3 bands. The  Battle Creek Super Special has been loaned to many
DXpeditions. A very proven antenna. It was built by W0CD,K8GG,and W8UVZ for
loan to whom ever needs a good DXpedition antenna. The  wire version I built
has performed better than I expected with 28 radials (small lot) in many
different directions and lengths. However RG58 traps will not stand up to a
amp. W0CD and the Battle Creek George's recommend using LC traps with at least
5kv doorknob caps with #12 wire coils. Or at least RG213 for the traps if you
are going to use QRO. Be sure to start the tuning process with 40 meters , then
80, and then 160. I built mine using 4 wires of 14ga with 4" spacing for the 40
and 80 meter vertical sections, with 4 14 ga wires taped toget
 her for the 160 section, The apex of the antenna is at 72' in an inverted L
fashion. I did this to gain a bit of capture area plus possible broader banding
and also to strengthen the entire antenna to help support the traps. Larry W8VVG