Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements

To: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Engineering Receiver 4 Square using W8JI PassiveElements
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:18:28 -0400

Bill Tippett wrote:
> , I finally decided to go with 20' whips and
> Lee's Hi-Z preamps for exactly the reasons Lee states.  The total
> area needed to be cleared is about one sixth, 4 short ground rods
> versus 32 radials, and no need for the 16 top loading wires (and
> worries about keeping them up with the many deer in our area).  The
> only downside is getting power to the preamps since the site is ~800' away.
>
> Bill,

Here is one possible power solution...Home Depot and Lowes have self
contained solar powered yard lights that switch on at dusk. Remove the
lamp and use them for power sources at each pre-amp location. I don't
know what the preamps have for current draw but I probably isn't much
more than 100ma.  The the self contained rechargeable battery should
handle that all night. If not add a inexpensive UPS supply
replacements.  Such a power source would also mitigate any problems
associated with ground loops, circuitry wire, power inserter etc.

Just a though and hope it works.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ