Topband: Top Band Antenna (Aerial in the UK)

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Top Band Antenna (Aerial in the UK)
From: "Adrian Rees" <rees.a@btconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 16:40:01 +0100
Hello everyone

I have recently acquired a 100 foot (35 metre) mobile tower (its trailer
mounted). I have the facility to install another 25 foot pole on top of the
tower making 125 feet in total. Whilst I am only a SSB op, I am very interested
in Top Band and am pondering antenna's (aerials) for this winter's season.

Location wise we are 1,500 feet asl on very good - excellent ground (the water
table is around 15 feet below ground, as it runs accross the rock under the
soil layer). Electrically the location is extremely quiet, and both pre-amps on
my 756ProII can be switched in at times with significant problems (band
activity permitting).

Contary to popular belief about verticals and mountain tops, I have very good
results with verticals as against dipole type antenna's. This and the water
table effect has led me to the conclusion that some thing along the lines of a
4 Square, or double delta or similar would be a good option for this winters
160m season.

I'd appreciate comments on this as well as possibly tuning (by a shunt feed)
the whole tower and switching directors and reflectors in and out like a
soitfire array.

Cheers

Adrian MW1LCR