Re: Topband: INV-L with traps

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: INV-L with traps
From: cris blak <cyo3fff@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:50:34 -0700 (PDT)
Hello all,

Last weekend I succeed to install the two traps on my 160m INV-L to be used on
40 and 80m. The traps are made by RG58 coaxial cable wind up on 40mm plastic
pipe. The 40m has 11 turns and the 80m one, 21 turns. Each of theme were
checked on the bench for resonance and it did resonate on those bands.
First, I install the 40m one. The first wire segment were end up at 7.5m having
the best 1.6:1 VSWR on 7040KHz. I mention that the antenna is made by 2.5mm
polyvinyl isolated copper conductor. The measured velocity factor were about
0.85. There wasn't a way to improve the VSWR.
After that, I install the 80m trap on a 8.5m wire segment between the traps.
The best VSWR on 80m were 1.6-1.8:1. No way to improve it. I mention that
before, on 160m the VSWR were 1.1:1 on 1840KHz. The antenna were feed with a
50ohm coax through a 2:1 toroidal transformer to adapt its 36ohm.

The point is the overall antenna efficiency!
I have an inverted V for 160/80/40m with 12m apex which is working fine on all
those bands.
I compare the INV-V with the new INV-L on 80 and 40m. For almost all the
signals, local or DX, the INV-V has at least 6-10dB + in front of INV-L which
is huge. First, I thought that this difference is because the low angle of the
INV-L but no. Even on a VK, UA0, JA, K or ZS station, the INV-V were the best.

I think something went wrong or this simply, this is the quality of such
antenna!?!
If one of those who have or built such antenna and compare it with a half
lambda dipole (INV-V or else) or a quarter wave monoband vertical could confirm
or denied this fact.

I'll try to built another traps with a L/C components. In this way, I have
another question. What is the best L/C ratio or putting in another way, what is
the best L and C to be used for such application.
Is it a good goal to have a coil as short as possible using high capacity to
compensate on the resonant frequency?
For example, for 7MHz trap, I think a good solution will be an 470pF dor knob
capacitor along with an air wind coil of 1.1uH with high Q factor. Zseries of
this circuit at 7MHz will be 0.005ohm and the parallel one, about 7.8Kohm
considering a 0.3ohm as a loss resistance. The overal Q will be about 161. The
same circuit on 3.5MHz will have Zseries = 73ohm, Zparallel = 32ohm and a Q =
81. On 160m, Zseries = 172ohm, Zparallel = 14ohm and Q=42.

Look forward for a guidance toward gaining the best results with such approach.

Thanks.

73 de YO3FFF
Cristi