Topband: Feedline BOG effect

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Feedline BOG effect
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:58:08 -0400
KV4FZ:

 > With 10 Beverages I am running out of good large Ferrite Rings and
resorted even to large solenoid spools of RG-6 which according to
W8JI's comparisons really is not as perfered as other methods. .....I
wonder if there is a simple solution that some one has the equipment to test.

         A simpler and much less expensive solution is a 1:1
transformer which breaks the coax shield (i.e. the common mode
path).  DXE sells their RFCC-1 for $64.95 but you can make one
yourself with one 43 cent mix 73 binocular core.  DXE's is more
complex because it allows sending DC control signals over coax
through it.  If you don't need that capability, simply wind 2 turns
per side, ground the shield of the longer coax run to a ground rod
and leave the other side floating.  ON4UN calls this approach a
"braid breaker".

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV