Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?

To: topband@lists.contesting.com
Subject: Topband: How do we get more people on Topband?
From: Brian Moran <brianmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 21:26:27 -0700 (PDT)
As the daylight shortens and it gets colder here in the northern hemisphere, I
anticipate those nice evening openings on 160m.  Tuning across the band, most
nights I hear many of the same calls that I've grown familiar with after a few
seasons.

It's great to say hi to Vlad, Kent, Kees, Tree, Carl, Roberts, Bob, and
Bobby... and many other 160m folks with great signals, names I don't know
because of the nature of 160m exchanges.  I've worked some DX folks over a
dozen times. Do they really want to work me for the 16th time? Sometimes I
listen for a while before actually responding to a CQ from a familiar call, to
make sure they don't have anyone else to work.

Lately, I've tended to just work calls that I've not worked before. I really
look forward to contests and DXpeditions. Besides working on improving
antennas, equipment,  and operating techniques, what do others do to keep
topband 'fresh' and exciting?

Some stalwarts have been at this for years if not decades.  How can we get more
people from all parts of the world on Topband?

-Brian N9ADG