Re: Topband: receive loop

To: jonathan white <jonathan.white20@btinternet.com>, Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: receive loop
From: "Walter Miller, AJ6T" <aj6t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:03:04 -0700
Jon,
You are on the right track.  I have had good results on 160 meters with
a 5 foot square shielded loop made of RG59 coax (shield split open at
the top) supported inside PVC electrical tubing and junction boxes.
This is an old design found in several books, including ON4UN's
"Low-Band DXing" (2nd edition page 7-28).  I recently constructed a
second loop, and found I needed about 560 pF for resonance at 1.825 MHz
(400 pF is suggested in the ON4UN figure).  This is a very easy antenna
to construct.  With my old TS850 the shielded loop did not come alive
until I added an external preamp, but the internal preamp in my new K3
provides adequate sensitivity.  Just last night on Topband this antenna
brought in good signals from SM5EDX, OH3SR and OM3DX here on the west
coast.  This DX season is off to a great start and I hope to work you on
160 meters.

73, Walt, AJ6T