Topband: K4M on Topband

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K4M on Topband
From: "Ilmo Anttila" <ilmo.anttila@qualisys.fi>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 11:06:32 +0300
Hi Topbanders

To comparison of FR/G and K4M operations would like to add from Northern
European point of view:

FR/G:
What Mike W4EF says about working conditions at Glorioso is through.
Many DX-peditions to that area have been easy to work and based on that
expectations were high.
However we were disturbed of high QRN level coming from Southern Europe and as
reported QRN at FR/G side was also high. Operators at Glorioso did not pay much
attention on Topband. Their main target was high total number of Qs as reported
almost daily. Short 5-10 minute visits on 160m on early morning hours were
useless.
Log tells that only 4 OHs worked FR/G.

K4M:
Operation on Topband was an exceptionally great success. All the important
things did fit together.
Location of Stations were on seaside. Power and antennas were OK. Operators did
know how to make Qs to cover most part of Europe on our evening hours.
And most important thing: Propagation over North Pole has been excellent with
low local noise level already for many weeks. Also KH6 stations have been
strong lately.
In the log there are 54 QSOs from OH-land

Is it fair to give 54/4 to quantify these two operations?

73

Ilmo, OH2BO