Re: Topband: K4M 160m

To: ROBERT FERGUSON <gm3yts@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: K4M 160m
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@surfvi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:34:34 -0400
ROBERT FERGUSON wrote:
> I think the major difference is FT5GA had inexperienced operators while K4M
> had a lot of great operators.

Rob,

Some of the high band ops at FT5GA appeared very proficient.  I think
the key problem here for most of us is the lack of TB interest, lack of
time spent, lack of persistence required for a successful showing on 160
meters.  The end result was that only a few US east coast QRO big guns
made the log on TB.  I believe they were simplex QSO's that I heard. (I
should have called them simplex when I first hear them but restrained
myself believing  the TB op would at least send UP like they were doing
on the other bands. My mistake for not wanting to be consider a LID by
my peers, I called up 2 Khz.

In the future when these quasi military operations occur maybe we good
have, months before, some on line primer type TB training communications
on what complexities to expect along with a courtesy copy of ON4UN's 160
meter bible. Being able to communicate the importance of the 160 meter
challenge, skill, and thrill-- and that is what it is, would IMHO make
so many more happy campers.

A more direct comparison would be the awesome performance of FT5XO from
the same region on 160. Night after night they were providing TB's with
at least a chance for a super rare country. With FT5GA, most of us never
had a chance and probably won't for a long long time..

Or as they say in Paris, "Vive le difference"

Cheers,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ