Topband: K4M from Scotland+ Norway

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K4M from Scotland+ Norway
From: "LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad" <la5he@otterstad.dk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:42:52 +0200
    It is entirely wrong to think of Zone 14 as
Western Europe as it includes SM and they are an hour
further East from here and have a better shot to the
pacific. If you want to judge the effectiveness into
Western Europe, count the number of stations WEST of
0 degrees. Our only real chance is to work the
Pacific is in the period leading up to SR here but
that requires cooperation from the DX end as well.
73 Clive GM3POI

Well said,Clive.  It has surprised me more than once, the big difference in
signal strength a few hundred kms
more to the Wes t (-or the East, depening on what DX we are talking abut).
WE have a DX-chat on SKYPE  running here in Norway, and the difference in
openings from here to f.ex
Trondheim ( some 500 kms north )  is sometimes almost shocking.

I hear SM5 and SM0s , who are bout 500 kms East, hearing and working TB DX
not even audible here.

TIMING is everything  ! Which is why Clive's comments are so important and
should be read by anybody
going on a Dxpedition involving TB operation:

73  Rag  LA5HE