Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: Doug Grant <dougk1dg@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 16:55:15 +0000
W7RH wrote:

> What is truly lacking in the "Majors" is recognition and lack of awards that
> may be regional if nothing else. I cite sponsor/publishers bias as a
> contributing force due to limited pages for reporting..  For the West Coast on
> Top Band, "Trophy" is a fabled word except in Stu Perry or that wonderful
> freak propagation weekend.

Actually, there ARE trophies available in the CQ160 contest for the
top single-op in Zone 3 (and 4), and the top multi-op in Zone 3, for
both CW and SSB. Last year, for example, KY7M, W6YI, N7DD and N7AP got
some nice wood to adorn their Zone 3 shacks.

No fable, just fact.

If you think more recognition is required in the form of hardware, we
are open to ideas (and sponsorships), within reason. Please don't
suggest a plaque for "First place, QRP, SSB, Eastern Wyoming,
Over-70-years-old with blue eyes".

I also believe you will see some clear recognition of outstanding Left
Coast scores in this year's results.

73,

Doug K1DG
CQ160 Contest Plaque Manager