Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: The East Coast Advantage
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:39:51 -0700
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 10:37:02 -0500, K9AY wrote:

>Yes, there is an East Coast advantage in the 160M contests. That's the way
>it is ... the location of global population centers is hard to change.

I agree "that's the way it IS, but it's NOT the way it has to be. SCORING
RULES are EASY to change. No one has to move anywhere, no one has to rent a
super station.

You don't have to study the Stew Perry results very long to realize that it
is MUCH closer to being a level playing field than almost all ARRL or CQ
contests. Top scores are widely distributed among countries and regions,
and there is FAR less of a regional disparity between scores.

http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/2008_Stew.htm

http://web.jzap.com/k7rat/2007_Stew.htm

Think about how the Stew rules reward being a good operator, having good TX
antennas, having good RX antennas, and taking the time to pull weaker
stations out of the noise.

73,

Jim K9YC