Re: Topband: Hospital Grade Outlets and Surge Suppressors

To: "'Jim Brown'" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Hospital Grade Outlets and Surge Suppressors
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 20:14:33 -0500

> They are almost certainly MOVs. Shunt mode surge suppressors
> (MOVs) on branch circuits are a very bad idea -- If equipment
> plugged in at those outlets are connected to anything plugged
> in at a different outlet, the differential voltage between the
> green wires can blow up that equipment in the event of a strike.

It doesn't even have to be connected to something plugged into a
different outlet.  If the equipment is connected to a tower
ground (e.g., transceiver/antenna) and the tower ground is not
bonded to the power entrance (safety) ground, it is easy to
blow up equipment when the grounds diverge.

Most "spontaneous" failures are probably due to relatively small
divergences between "RF" ground and safety ground.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV