Topband: Efficiency

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Efficiency
From: Lew Sayre <w7ew@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:15:18 -0800
Yo,
    Wow....sorry I started the tree and RF discussion, which we've had on
here off and on. The main point about the trees is that if you have some
trees that you can use.....then do so!
I appreciate the comments about the Rx being important. I have 2 1000'
reversible Beverages and 4 580' directional Beverages that I'll try to join
up in a staggered configuration somehow.
Am also figuring out W8JI's parallelogram directional RX array that I can
place down in a draw that runs northish that might help with the EU sigs.
     I suspect my whining about my Tx signal  being marginal is due to my
local rocky ground up on top of this ridge.  More than 60 radials per wire
may not change the SWR on the 269 much, but increasing them will help some
with the efficiency.  Until that oceanfront station is built I'll consider
verticals over good farmland or drainfields for septic tanks to be the best
around with appropriate radial fields.
    I don't think a larger ceramic tube is the answer either because 1) it's
against the rules and 2) no personal satisfaction by getting a bigger signal
the easy/lazy/disrespectful way. What good is it to work something good when
everybody suspects you're running smoke?
  Good luck to everybody with Chesterfield.
     73 and I remain,
    Lew   W7EW/W7AT