Topband: 2 Element Parasitic Vertical

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 2 Element Parasitic Vertical
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:01:32 -0600
I have a shunt fed tower which is 70 feet tall.  It is 45G and has a 6L 20 on
top with a 65 foot boom.  It also has a 5L 15M yagi with something like a 34
foot boom on the side at about 35 feet.

For the purpose of modeling the antenna with a reflector 100 feet behind it, I
just put the DE in as a 18 inch diameter, 124 foot tall vertical.  The actual
reflector I have up is a T shaped element that is 100 feet vertical and 36 feet
on top (18 feet either side of the center of the vertical part.  This element
is #18 copperweld.  I have it shown over Real/Mininec ground and it shows 5.37
dBi at 1.825.  The  driven element and reflector have a decent ground system
tied together in the center with a bus wire - something like 100 radials under
each.

Am I missing something in the way I am modeling it or should I expect to see
the results shown by the computer.  I am suspicious of the model since I can
change the vertical portion of the reflector to #10 wire instead of #18 wire
and the max gain moves up about 50 khz.  I would have thought it would have
moved it down some?

I put the reflector back up over the weekend and am going to re-do the shunt
feed on the tower but wanted to make that reflector element whatever length
should be best first.

If anyone out there knows how to model this thing properly, I would appreciate
some help.

Thanks...Stan, K5GO