Re: Topband: Power Line Noise (long)

To: "Rick Stealey" <rstealey@hotmail.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Power Line Noise (long)
From: "Bob Wendling" <bob_nw6n@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:41:16 -0700
Years ago I had a noise on the Ja beverage that raised the noise abt 10 db
over normal. Searched and searched about a 3 mile path with no results..
Built a small Yagi on a broomstick coupled to an aviation band receiver and
a bunch of D cells for power. Used the AM radio in the car to get an idea of
approximately where to start and  found the culprit 9 miles away behind two
locked gates on a ranch. The property owner was okay after I explained what
I was doing, but with a few anxious moments in between!! With the noise gone
I was back in business and so was the Rancher as his TV was virtually
unwatchable! The best way to get help from the power company is to find the
noise source yourself, call them and show them the source in person.

Reagrds, Bob NW6N